The Bug the first day I got it, September 17, 2007. I'm here at the Firestone Brewery in Bulleton, CA.
Another look the first day of the Bug. The Bug ran alright, but it ahd a pretty bad oil leak. No problem in a few weeks the engine would be out.
My two cars.
A look at the 1200cc engine. This is the original engine for the Bug. An old 6 volt system still in place. This engine will be out in a few weeks.
The Bug back home safe. Soon everything will change.
The Bug with little Hobbs the kitten hanging out.
Front view of the Bug.
The seats taken out the Bug looks empty. I'm having the seats totally redone at Mac's Upholstery in Ventura. Once the seats are done I will still leave them out until the rest of the car has been wired and is ready to go. I have a new carpet kit that I will install once everything else has been completed.
Looks like shit but some day this will be full of batteries. No back seats, we are shooting for long range. Notice the old 6-volt battery.
Another view of the back seats, or where the back seats should be. The back end will hold 5 batteries, while the back seats will hold 7 batteries.
A full view of the back seat area. We will be holding about a half a ton of batteries once everything is set up to run.
Classic early VW steering wheel. I'm keeping most of the Bug original as possible. I will have to add a few gauges to the dash area.
The front of the Bug. I will mount the battery charger in the front.
There will be no need for a gas tank now, so we removed it. I will put a board with a AVCON charger adapter in here next.
The Bug backed up and on Jacks ready for engine removal.
The Bug now on jacks, fenders removed, wheels removed, you can see deep inside. Having the fenders removed will help in getting to everything.
The back view with fenders and wheels removed.
The nasty, oil-leaking engine. Soon to be removed.
Engine Gone! ony the clutch plate remains.
After a little cleaning the engine compartment looks pretty good. I think I removed about a quart of oil and dirt from the compartment.
Me removing the oil and crap from the deck lid.
The 9" GE series motor as it sat when I first saw it . This picture was taken a Thunderstruck motors in Santa Rosa, CA.
It might not look like much, but this is a very powerful motor. It needs some work to look good.
This is the way I like to work, a beer and a work bench.
Now that is how a motor should look. After a week of hard work, scraping and sanding the motor looks almost new.
Next stage is to mount this motor to the transmission of the Bug. You can see where the motor needs to end up.
A close up of the name plate on the motor. Not a very good shot.
This is a picture of the aluminum plate that will attach the motor to the transmission. Adapter plate kits are sold for bugs, but at the cost of $600.00. We decided to make our own. so with this plate we will drill holes for the transmission and the motor.
Coating the plate with blue dye for drill holes. The book that is open is a copy of "Convert It", a very popular book for electrical car conversion. You can buy it for about $25.00.
Now we are ready to drill the holes. The drill press makes drilling easy.
A close up view of how we made the drill marks. You can see how Justin carefully marked each hole after determining the radius.
Some wires that need to be removed. I took this picture so I would know how they go back.
Another wiring picture here. I don't want to forget. That rust in the back ground will be removed and painted soon enough.
Here is a picture of the motor on the left and the VW flywheel on the right. The shaft of the motor must align with the inner diameter of the flywheel.
Here is a picture of the aluminum plate mounted to the motor.
A piece of Stainless steel being machined by Justin. This hunk of steel is used to connect the motor shaft to the flywheel.
Stainless steel is hard to machine, but after many coats of oil things start coming together.
You can see Justin working the lathe.
Almost done with the inner diameter of the shaft. We recycled the shavings.
Justin is the man, this project would not be possible if Justin was not involved. Here he is testing the fit of the stainless steel shaft.
A couple more turns and it will be done.
Now Justin cuts a big hole in the aluminum plate for the shaft of the motor to go through. We are real close at this point to mounting the motor.
Justin finishing off the main hole in the aluminum slab.
Installed new HEAVY duty shocks on the bug. We had to use a jack to install them. The spring tension on these shocks is so good that after we installed the shocks and lowered down the Bug, the Bug remained pretty much at then same height it was before. Justin and myself sat in the back area of the Bug to try and weight the Bug down but had little or no effect. This is good because with a full line of batteries going in next the weight will be over 1/2 ton.
The Aluminum plate now cut for the internal shaft and mounted.
The clutch plate and clutch pad mounted to the fly wheel.
Here is the stainless steel shaft mounted in the vise. The key way has been started. The brass shaft sits waiting shaping. It is all about small cuts with the file to make the key-way slot.
Making the key-way for the stainless steel hub. Stainless steel is very hard to work with. I spent almost four solid hours filing this hub with a file.